My mom and I made this pie this week for shabbat and it turned out really well. The vanilla bean in the custard is unbelievably good! Great call, Food Republic!
Thought I’d share the recipe, so Enjoy!
Banana Cream Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Add milk and cream gradually while continually whisking. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, then add egg yolk mixture back to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes; remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add the scraped vanilla bean and salt. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency. Let sit for a few minutes so it can soak up the vanilla flavor. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Add the tablespoon on butter and stir until smooth.
- Place the bananas into the cooled graham cracker pie crust. Top with pudding mixture.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Chill for an hour. Top with fresh whipped cream and serve.
Graham Cracker Crust
8 graham crackers
1/2 cup of butter
2 Tbsp sugar
Blend graham crackers in food processor until they are fine crumbs. Add butter and sugar and blend until uniform. Press into pan and bake at 350*F for 10 min.
Tell me how you like it!