Usually, year-to-year, stuff pretty much goes on as usual.
We might have taken up some new instrument… I’ll have my different projects and such that change… maybe there’s a new dog or something.
If I could time travel… 2015 Rosey would be utterly shocked, I’m positive.
Short list of the things that were miles away from my mind at last new years…
- My family moved across the country. Seriously, for the longest time, that was my biggest fear. “We’re going to move away from all the nice things right here and life will be awful and I’ll die.” Well, guess what? I didn’t die. Not all that horrible, actually.
- I got a new baby brother in October, and I won the family guess sheet for guessing details and stuff about the birth. (The last of which I have never done before.)
- I got to go to the OYAN summer workshop in June, which was absolutely fantastic and I’ve found my peeps, so here’s hoping I can go back. But this was like absolutely out of the question before the moving, so a year ago, this was my most wistful thinking and past-me would be totally freaking out that I got to go.
- Blank Mastermind. Like, everything about Blank Mastermind is so out-of-the blue. For one, it was just supposed to be short story. And I did my other short stories first because I thought they had more potential. And look at that. It’s turned into my favorite thing I’ve written… the longest thing I’ve written…. and kind of something that’s taken over the blog. Also I barely plotted that thing out at all and I’m usually a pretty hardcore plotter.
- Okay, part of the above point. But can I just have a moment to balk at the fact that I have a character that I like and relate to named Wolfgang Dankworth? I mean, really. Wolfgang. Wolfgang. Out of all the characters that could have come to life for me… Wolfgang. -stares at that for a second- -shakes head- Okay, moving on….
- Kind of smaller thing, but I got my hair cut short and I liked it.
- Exactly how long we stayed drifting around and just the adventures over the past six months… just… wow.
And out of all of those things that happened? Guess how many I would have guessed?
Nothin’, zilch, nada.
But it happened.
And, lookit that folks, I survived it and everything’s okay.
So, big lesson learned.
I probably have no idea what’s coming this year. The me right now is probably going to be utterly shocked at the going-into-2018-me next year. But, hey. Hopefully I can keep perspective, faith and a optimism through all of it.
Here comes a new year.
And here I am, armed to the teeth with a couple of pocketknives, a paracord whip and a weird sense of humor.
Come at me, 2017.
We got this, guys.
If worst comes to worst, come to my house. We’ll whittle spears and survive on cookies.